Poker, News and random rants about me, life in general and ... did I mention poker already?

May 1, 2015

An Urgently Needed Break or Bad Beat Story?

Friday, May 01, 2015 Posted by Unknown , , , , , No comments
I have been to Las Vegas a few times already to cover the World Series Of Poker previously, of which 2014 with just over six weeks for PokerNews was probably the most memorable one. This year, the WSOP decided to do the live reporting in-house and many freelancers must have applied. Either way after about one month I eventually heard back that they "are afraid there was no spot for me" on the reporting team and photographers were already booked as well.

So, is this actually good or bad news?

The start of the year has been quite extraordinary in terms of events to cover, I have already done about a dozen of them and will be heading to Malta next week for the Mega Poker Series. Physically, I am probably in the worst shape for the past 12 months right now but that doesn't have any influence on my writing during the events. There is still a certain lack of consistency when it comes to taking pictures, even though the feedback is mostly positive.

At the events itself, "yours idiot" is the first of the staff to be at the venue each day and the last to leave in the evening / night / early morning hours. I love my kind of work most of the time and it helps to be a workaholic and have German blood in the veins with regards to the work ethics. Fortunately there is also a specific sample of familiar faces that keep the spirit alive. And if everything else fails, a quick chat with the person that always makes you smile gives the extra boost to survive another day without going crazy.

They say, when one door closes, another one will open ... or you get hit in the back when failing to exit quickly enough. I will definitely miss a lot of friends on the circuit who are going to be at Sin City, but this hiccup also represents an opportunity to focus on what or who deserves more attention as well.

Whether a miracle happens still or any other events pop up instead, c'est la vie.

Until then, may the flops, turns and rivers be with you.

P.S. That was my two cent towards the topic of daily bad beat stories.


0 comments: